13.7.06

Well light my fire

I will just quote from the Washington Post:

"The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

Even I would have thought that smoking pot at the very least causes lung cancer. I mean, at least that! It is smoke, after all. But instead, it actually has some protective effect: the smoke is able to kill off dying cells before they are able to mutate and cause cancer.

Now I assume all plans can go ahead for putting the stuff in the drinkwater.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. This is the news I'd been anticipating. I plan to take up smoking/passive smoking at the soonest convenience. I have little fear of the other reported consequences of smoking marijuana, such as paranoia and insanity. As long as I can get high and not die.

Anonymous said...

Yes. If you don't feel paranoid or glimpses of insanity when high, go ahead, smoke weed. Believe or not, even these conseuqnces haven't been shown to have much of a correlation.

Please advise as to what the other consequences of passive smoking are, so we can all make an informed decision.